Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Serve this rich, creamy soup with plenty of saltines or crusty bread.
1. Place the clams and ¼ cup water in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pan, until the clams open. Using tongs, transfer the clams to a bowl. Strain the liquid through a wire sieve lined with paper towels to remove grit. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. Remove the clams from the shells. Coarsely chop the clams, cover, and chill.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
3. Add the onion and potatoes to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the clam juice and milk and season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the cream and clams, and heat through without boiling. Season and serve hot, topped with the bacon and parsley.
Manhattan Clam Chowder: Delete the milk and cream. Add one 28 oz (794g) can chopped tomatoes with their juice to the pot with the clam juice. Substitute chopped thyme for the parsley.
Caution: cook clams on day of purchase.
Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be completed several hours in advance; keep the clams refrigerated until ready to use.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.