Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Noodle kugel has long been a treasured accompaniment on our family’s before-the-fast dinner menu. Many people make their noodle kugel with either fruit or vegetables, but for this one I like to combine both. Since carrots are sweet, they harmonize well with the apples, and provide flecks of pretty color. Actually, it’s not such a wild combination; some people make carrot and apple tzimmes.
This kugel does not contain much sugar. Seasoned with a touch of cinnamon and ginger, the sweet-savory kugel is delicious with roast chicken or tzimmes.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 3½- to 4-quart baking dish or two smaller baking dishes and set aside.
2. Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water uncovered over high heat, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes or until nearly tender but firmer than usual, since they will be baked. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain well again. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add carrots, apples, 3 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and ginger to noodles. Taste and adjust seasoning; add remaining sugar if you like. Add beaten eggs and mix well Add noodle mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon oil.
4. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until set; kugel will bake faster in shallow dishes than in deep ones. Serve hot, from baking dish.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.