Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
The best part of this vibrant way to start the day is that you can prepare it the night before. The hint of liqueur raises an ordinary recipe to the sublime.
1. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, orange zest and juice, sugar, orange-flavored liqueur (if using) and vanilla.
2. Arrange bread, cutting to fit, in single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour orange mixture over top; cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until no longer soggy and firm to the touch.
4. Prepare the Orange Marmalade Sauce: meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring marmalade, orange juice, honey and orange-flavored liqueur (if using) to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with French toast.
This lazy person’s French toast is made even easier if you use a rasp to grate the orange zest. Rasps are available at cookware stores and have very sharp edges ideal for grating zest, Parmesan cheese and fresh nutmeg.
If bread is already sliced thinly, use two slices stacked on top of each other.
One medium orange will yield about 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) zest, so you’ll likely need two for this recipe. Although I recommend using fortified orange juice in this recipe for added calcium, don’t waste the flesh of the oranges after you zest them. Orange slices would taste terrific as a garnish for this dish.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Nutritional Value Per serving
Dietary Fiber (a source) 3g
Calcium (a source) 105 mg
Percent of calories from
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin’ Donuts.
Members save 10% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba’s Italian Grill.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today