Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
The famed oyster creation was invented in 1899 in New Orleans at Antoine’s restaurant and named for the richness of its green sauce. The original version had eighteen ingredients in the sauce and has remained a trade secret to this day. Nonetheless, I maintain a very definite opinion on what the perfect Oysters Rockefeller should be and this is my private formula.
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, scallions, and fennel; sauté until the vegetables are quite soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the watercress, spinach, and parsley; cook until the watercress is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
2. Stir in the Pernod, Tabasco, lemon juice, bread crumbs, cream, and ½ cup of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors and thicken slightly. Cool to room temperature.
3. Spread a ½-inch layer of the salt on each of 2 baking sheets. Cover each oyster with a generous tablespoon of the green sauce and arrange the oysters securely on top of the salt. Sprinkle a little of the remaining Swiss cheese on top of each. (The oysters may be prepared up to this point and refrigerated for a few hours before cooking.)
4. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
5. Bake the oysters until the cheese and sauce are bubbling, 5 to 8 minute. Serve at once.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 9 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.