Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Papaya is not as sweet as mango or peaches but it gives a salad great texture, flavor, and color. And peppery arugula is a perfect flavor mate. This is a wonderful salad to serve when people are serious about the wine they drink because there is no vinegar in the dressing to spoil the wine’s flavor, just walnut oil and a little lime or lemon juice, if you like. It is delicious with grilled flank steak, salmon, or Cuban-seasoned pork and chicken dishes.
1. Arrange the arugula on a pretty platter or in a shallow bowl. Arrange the papaya cubes on top of the arugula. Scatter the olives and onion slivers on top.
2. Just before serving, season the salad with salt and pepper and drizzle the walnut or olive oil over it. If desired, squeeze some lime or lemon juice on the salad. Serve at once.
BIG BATCH: This salad is quite easy to double and triple, just replenish it as needed and dress the salad each time. Or, make two or three platters—or one very large platter—of salad.
Go ahead, and place the arugula, papaya, olives, and onion on the platter and cover it with plastic wrap to tote.
Pour the walnut or olive oil in a small glass jar with the lime or lemon juice, if desired, and bring it separately.
The platter of salad can be refrigerated for up to 6 hours. Season it with salt and pepper and drizzle the oil and lemon juice, if using, over it just before serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and 3 tablespoons walnut oil.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today