Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
I have tried this soup with different types of tomatoes and have found that the best canned diced Italian tomatoes make a major difference. Don’t use crushed tomatoes, as the flavor will not be the same. This is the soup to make for hard-core tomato lovers who can’t wait until summer’s bounty. Look for a country-style bread for best results.
1. Place a food mill over a bowl. Pass the tomatoes and juice through the mill to remove the seeds. Set the tomatoes aside.
2 In a medium soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, or until softened but not browned. Add the basil and sage and cook for 1 minute, or until softened and aromatic.
3. Add the reserved tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the tomato mixture is cooked down a little.
4. Add the bread, cover, and cook another 5 minutes. Season with saltand pepper. Let the soup sit for a few more minutes to allow the bread to soften and melt into the soup.
5. To serve, ladle into shallow soup bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and garnish each with a basil and sage leaf. Serve immediately.
May be prepared up to 4 hours ahead through Step 4 before serving. The longer it sits, the thicker it will become. Cover and leave at room temperature. Reheat gently.
The clever cook could:
1. Drizzle ½ teaspoon Balsamic Syrup (page 170) over each serving.
2. Prepare this when you have stale leftover bread.
3. Add a dollop of ricotta cheese to the soup bowl and then ladle the soup over for a slightly creamy result.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today