Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
I have tried this soup with different types of tomatoes and have found that the best canned diced Italian tomatoes make a major difference. Don’t use crushed tomatoes, as the flavor will not be the same. This is the soup to make for hard-core tomato lovers who can’t wait until summer’s bounty. Look for a country-style bread for best results.
1. Place a food mill over a bowl. Pass the tomatoes and juice through the mill to remove the seeds. Set the tomatoes aside.
2 In a medium soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, or until softened but not browned. Add the basil and sage and cook for 1 minute, or until softened and aromatic.
3. Add the reserved tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the tomato mixture is cooked down a little.
4. Add the bread, cover, and cook another 5 minutes. Season with saltand pepper. Let the soup sit for a few more minutes to allow the bread to soften and melt into the soup.
5. To serve, ladle into shallow soup bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and garnish each with a basil and sage leaf. Serve immediately.
May be prepared up to 4 hours ahead through Step 4 before serving. The longer it sits, the thicker it will become. Cover and leave at room temperature. Reheat gently.
The clever cook could:
1. Drizzle ½ teaspoon Balsamic Syrup (page 170) over each serving.
2. Prepare this when you have stale leftover bread.
3. Add a dollop of ricotta cheese to the soup bowl and then ladle the soup over for a slightly creamy result.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today