Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Instead of white cubes of tofu bobbing in this African-style, soup where they look decidedly odd, I puree the tofu with a portion of the finished soup until everything is smooth. The tofu is there, but it doesn’t intrude. And this is a method you can use with virtually any pureed soup. If you wish, you can puree the entire soup, or leave it textured, with bits of sweet potatoes and peppers.
1. Warm the oil in a wide soup pot set over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, ginger, and sweet potatoes, and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions have begun to color, 8 to 10 minutes, adding the garlic after the first 5 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, several good twists of the pepper mill, and the cayenne, to taste, and cook a few minutes longer.
2. Add the tomatoes and scrape the pot to lift up any brown bits from the bottom. Add the water or stock, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
3. Add the peanut butter and cook, stirring, until it has dissolved.
4. Remove 2 cups of the soup and puree with the tofu until perfectly smooth. Return this mixture to the soup. (If you wish, puree the entire soup.) Taste for salt and for the heat level, adding more cayenne if desired.
5. Serve with 1/3 cup rice mounded in each bowl and plenty of scallions scattered over the top.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include Basic Vegetable Stock. For nutritional information on Basic Vegetable Stock, please follow the link above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.