Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
You don't often think of adding cucumber to sweet dishes, but it works perfectly in this exotic fruit salad.
1. Trim the ends from the cucumber. Cut in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop out and discard the seeds, and thinly slice. Cut the bottom 4in (10cm) from each lemongrass stalk, and discard the tops. Discard the tough outer leaves from the lemongrass. Halve the lemongrass lengthwise and smash with a rolling pin.
2. Bring the lemongrass, sugar, and a scant 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cucumber. Let cool.
3. Discard the lemongrass. Quarter and core the pears, and slice into thin wedges. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the green and red grapes, cucumber, and syrup. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill. Sprinkle with the mint leaves and serve chilled.
The salad can be refrigerated up to 2 days in advance.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today