Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Colin Erricson
This delicious combination of black-eyed peas and greens, which is a Greek tradition, is a great dish for busy weeknights. It also makes a wonderful side dish for roasted meat, particularly lamb.
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and fennel and cook, stirring, until fennel is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt, peppercorns and toasted fennel and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
2. Add peas and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until peas are tender. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and paprika, stirring, until paprika dissolves. Add to slow cooker stoneware and stir well. Add spinach, stirring, until submerged. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until spinach is tender.
This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, continue with the recipe.
Works in slow cookers from 3½ to 6 quarts
To toast fennel seeds: Place seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, until fragrant and they just begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer to a mortar or a spice grinder and grind. (Or place the seeds on a cutting board and use the bottom of a wine bottle or measuring cup.)
Use any kind of paprika in this recipe. Hot paprika will add the zest heat seekers prefer. Smoked paprika will enhance the flavor with a pleasant smokiness.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today