Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Recipe by: Robin Robertson | from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You AreCookstr
Hominy—dried corn kernels from which the germ and the hull have been removed—has a natural affinity for chili spices. Canned hominy has been reconstituted and is ready to eat. For a less spicy chili, omit the jalapeño.
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cook about 30 seconds longer.
2. Transfer the mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the jalapeño, tomatoes, beans, hominy, water, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper; cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
3. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and taste to adjust the seasonings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 6.