Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Fragrant and rich with a variety of dried fruits, this is the ultimate British Christmas dessert.
1. Put the first 8 ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Combine the dried plums and tea in a small bowl. Cover both bowls and let stand at least 12 hours.
2. Drain the dried plums and discard the tea. Add the dried plums and grated apple to the soaked fruit, followed by the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, and molasses, stirring well.
3. Sift in the flour, spices, and baking powder. Add the bread crumbs and almonds. Mix well.
4. Butter a 1½ quart heatproof bowl. Pour in the pudding batter. Cover with a double layer of parchment paper and 1 layer of aluminum foil, crimping the foil. Place on a steamer rack in a large pot of simmering water, with the water barely touching the bottom of the bowl. Cover and steam until dark and firm, for 8–10 hours, adding more boiling water to the pot as needed.
The pudding is best cooked 1–2 months before eating. Wrap the pudding well in aluminum foil and refrigerate. To reheat, steam for 1½–2 hours.
Steaming Tip: The steaming can be done over 2 or 3 days. Steam it for at least 3 hours on the first day and then continue with the remaining hours on following days.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 1 year, after cooking, in its bowl; thaw and steam in bowl for 1½–2 hours.
Good with whipped cream or custard sauce.
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today