Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Here’s an unusual and delicious way to serve poached eggs, called cilbir in Turkey. Once you’ve poached your eggs, you set them in hot ceramic dishes to keep them warm, smother them with yogurt and then you devote full attention to preparing the last-minute sizzle of butter and hot red pepper. This sizzle heightens the flavor of the eggs and balances the richness of their garlic-yogurt toppings. Serve with hot toast.
1. Drain the yogurt in a sieve lined with a paper towel for 30 minutes, until thickened.
2. In a small bowl, mash the garlic to a paste with the salt. Add the yogurt and blend well. Set aside at room temperature.
3. About 20 minutes before serving, put 2 small cazuelitas in a wide saucepan of water to cover. Set over medium heat and slowly bring to a simmer. Carefully transfer the cazuelitas to a doubled kitchen towel to drain. Leave the pot of water on the stove.
4. Add the vinegar to the water and maintain at a simmer. One by one, break an egg onto a saucer and slip into the water. Cover the pot, turn off the heat, and poach the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft, about 2½ minutes.
5. Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spatula and place 2 eggs in each warm cazuelita. Top each egg with one-quarter of the garlic yogurt.
6. Quickly melt the butter in a small conventional saucepan. Add the Marash pepper and paprika and stir; the butter will turn bright red. Drizzle the butter over each serving, leaving the paprika powder and pepper flakes behind in the saucepan. Serve at once.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today