Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Using dried mushrooms guarantees a rich, earthy flavor, which is ideal for serving alongside the subtle-tasting polenta. Good with a mixed green salad as a main course, or a hearty first course.
1. Put the dried mushrooms in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes. Line a fine sieve with moistened cheesecloth or paper towels. Strain the mushrooms through the sieve, reserving the liquid. Rinse the mushrooms.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes until golden. Stir in the cremini mushrooms and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Add the porcini mushrooms and their soaking liquid, the rosemary, and the sage, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly browned and the liquid has almost completely evaporated.
3. Bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Whisk about 3 minutes more, until the polenta is thick and tender. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide the polenta between 4 serving bowls. Spoon the mushrooms on top and serve at once.
Variation: Parmesan Polenta
Omit the mushrooms. When the polenta is tender, stir in 6 tbsp diced butter and ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Prepare ahead: The mushrooms can be cooked up to 4 hours in advance and reheated.
Leftovers can be reheated.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today