Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Come winter, potatoes and celeriac are firmly entrenched in our cold-weather diet. The play of flavors calls out for pairing with a touch of cream, a hint of garlic, and a healthy dose of freshly grated cheese. I could make a meal of this lovely, fragrant gratin, one that should be on the table at every winter holiday feast.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the potatoes and the celeriac in a large saucepan and cover with the milk and cold water. Add the garlic, salt, bay leaves, and bunch of thyme. Bring to a simmer over medium, high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring from time to time, until the vegetables are tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of the vegetables to the gratin dish. Discard the milk and water mixture and the thyme. Season to taste with nutmeg and pepper, and cover with half of the cream and half of the cheese. Cover with a final layer of vegetables, cream, and cheese. Season again with nutmeg and pepper. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves.
4. Place in the center of the oven and bake until crisp and golden on top, 1 to 1½ hours. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today