Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
These smooth potato pancakes are addictive, especially topped with lots of butter. In Scotland, they are called "tattie scones"
1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Then place in a bowl and mash until smooth using a potato masher.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the warm mashed potatoes, and mix well to make a pliable dough.
3. Turn onto lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth. Pat the dough into a 7in (18cm) square. Cut the dough into quarters, then cut each in half diagonally to make 8 triangles.
4. Brush a griddle pan lightly with oil and heat until hot. Add the scones and cook, turning halfway through, about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot or warm.
Savory Potato Scones: Add finely chopped fried onion, dried mixed herbs, or even curry powder to the mashed potato dough before rolling out.
Freeze layered between sheets of wax paper for up to 6 months
Good with soft garlic and herb cheese and a chive garnish; butter and jam; or as a side dish for main courses to replace mashed potatoes or rice. They also make a hearty accompaniment to soups and stews.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.