Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is a buttery, domed nut cookie (in this case made with walnuts) generously rolled in confectioners’ sugar. These are a snap to make in the food processor.
1. Place walnuts, ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, and salt in a food processor, pulse to break up nuts, then process until nuts are finely ground. Add butter a few pieces at a time, pulsing to incorporate, then process until mixture is smooth; pulse in vanilla. Add flour and pulse until incorporated. Process until dough begins to form a ball. Place dough on large piece of plastic wrap, form into a very flat disc, cover completely with wrap, and refrigerate until firm enough to roll into balls, at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Roll dough between your lightly floured palms into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets, Gently flatten just enough so they don’t; roll off.
4. Bake until light golden brown around edges, about 15 minutes. Place pan on rack to cool for 5 minutes, then sift remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar over warm cookies. After cookies have cooled completely, roll them in sugar on the sheets to cover completely.
Round, crumbly sugar cookies with nuts in the dough appear in many cuisines, such as the Vanilla Crescents of Hungary, Pecan Butter Balls from the southeastern United States, and Mexican wedding cakes, which are virtually identical to the butter balls.
Lifespan: 2 weeks at room temperature in airtight container in single layers separated by waxed paper
Serving size is 1 cookie.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today