Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This classic Middle Eastern salad is normally made with bulgur, tomato, and loads of chopped parsley and mint. Here it is given a new twist with quinoa, the protein-rich "super grain" of the Incas, and yellow tomatoes, although red tomatoes may be substituted if yellow are unavailable. Be sure to rinse the quinoa well before using to remove the bitter white coating called saponin. Fresh cilantro replaces the mint, and the optional tiny red adzuki beans acn be added for substance. These mild-tasting, highly digestible beans are available dried or canned at natural food stores.
1. Wash the quinoa thoroughly to remove any trace of the bitter white coating, then rinse and drain.
2. Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add salt and the quinoa. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Blot the quinoa with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
3. Place the quinoa in a large serving bowl and set aside to cool. Add the tomatoes, onion, the adzuki beans, if using, parsley, and cilantro.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper until blended. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. For the best flavor, this salad should be served the day it is made. Serve chilled.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.