Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Anyone who’s ever given a party surely knows how to make California Dip, probably America’s favorite dip, with an envelope of onion soup mix and a carton of sour cream. (According to the Lipton Company, who prints the recipe on every box of their dried onion soup, it is called California Dip because an anonymous homemaker from that state invented it.) My version, freshly made with caramelized onions replacing the dehydrated ones, challenges the classic with a fuller, less salty flavor. Serve this with homemade potato chips, and get ready for the compliments.
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring often, until deep golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
2. Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream in a medium bowl. Stir in the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days. (If necessary, thin with milk before serving.)
3. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with chives. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Blue Cheese and Onion Dip:
Mash 4 ounces Roquefort or Danish blue cheese, crumbled, into the mayonnaise-sour cream mixture.
Original California Dip:
Mix 1 envelope Lipton Onion Recipe Soup Mix with one 16-ounce container sour cream. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Make-Ahead: The dip can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings and includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today