Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Anyone who’s ever given a party surely knows how to make California Dip, probably America’s favorite dip, with an envelope of onion soup mix and a carton of sour cream. (According to the Lipton Company, who prints the recipe on every box of their dried onion soup, it is called California Dip because an anonymous homemaker from that state invented it.) My version, freshly made with caramelized onions replacing the dehydrated ones, challenges the classic with a fuller, less salty flavor. Serve this with homemade potato chips, and get ready for the compliments.
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring often, until deep golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
2. Mix the mayonnaise and sour cream in a medium bowl. Stir in the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days. (If necessary, thin with milk before serving.)
3. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with chives. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Blue Cheese and Onion Dip:
Mash 4 ounces Roquefort or Danish blue cheese, crumbled, into the mayonnaise-sour cream mixture.
Original California Dip:
Mix 1 envelope Lipton Onion Recipe Soup Mix with one 16-ounce container sour cream. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Make-Ahead: The dip can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings and includes 1/4 teaspoon of added salt.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today