Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
I love the combination of flavors in this unusual soup. The red lentils partially dissolve while cooking, creating a creamy texture and the coconut milk creates an intriguing, almost nutty note. Serve as a starter or add an Indian bread and salad for a delicious light meal.
1. In a colander, rinse lentils thoroughly under cold running water. Set aside.
2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Stir in reserved lentils and stock.
3. Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until carrots are tender and mixture is bubbling. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and chili pepper and cook on High for 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through.
4. When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and top with lemon slices and cilantro, if using.
If you don’t have fresh chili peppers, stir in your favorite hot pepper sauce, to taste, just before serving.
For an enhanced cumin flavor, toast the cumin seeds and coarsely crush before using in this recipe.
Make ahead: This soup can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked. Complete Steps 1 and 2. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, continue cooking as directed in Step 3.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today