Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
We cook red lentils because of their golden, lighter color. French lentils are good too, but while they start out green they eventually turn brown. While French lentils make a good winter soup, perhaps red ones are better for spring. Technically, either type of lentil works
1. Drizzle oil in a 3-quart soup pot and swirl it around until the oil coats the entire surface of the bottom of the pan. Heat over high heat for 1 minute. Add cumin and coriander. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the celery, carrot, onion, leek, and garlic. Cook and stir until onion and leek are tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the Basic Vegetable Stock, water, lentils, and Bouquet Garni. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmering and cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice, salt, and lemon zest. Remove Bouquet Garni. Season to taste with pepper.
Bouquet Garni: Bundle 8 sprigs fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon black peppercorns together in several thicknesses of cotton cheesecloth. Tie closed with string.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 351 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 1,221 mg sodium, 56 g carbo., 13 g fiber, 23 g pro. Daily Values: 59% vit. A, 15% vit. C, 8% calcium, 23% iron
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.