Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
This cake has made a comeback. It is a rich red color, making it great for Valentine’s Day or your anniversary.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
1. In a bowl, sift cake flour and salt together two times. Set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
3. In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, food coloring and vanilla. Beat into butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, making three additions of flour and two of buttermilk just until blended.
4. In another small bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda. As soon as mixture starts to bubble, fold into batter by hand.
5. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 22 to 26 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.
6. For best results for decorating, wrap cakes in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 days. Decorate with any of the icings(see Notes) or one of your favorites.
Decorate with any of the following icings:
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.