Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
This hot and spicy salsa is made on the grill. Serve with chips or with chicken or fish. I like serving it with margaritas.
Preheat barbecue to medium.
1. Remove husks from corn cobs. Brush 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil on all sides and place on preheated grill. Brush tomatoes and chiles with remaining oil and place on grill. Grill, turning to brown all sides, about 20 minutes. When the corn starts to brown, remove from heat and let cool. When chiles and tomatoes start to blister, place in a plastic bag to sweat for 20 minutes.
2. Slice corn from cobs and place in a large bowl. Peel skins from sweated chiles. Cut chiles in half and scrape out seeds and membranes.
3. In work bowl fitted with metal blade, pulse chiles until chunky, about 10 times. Add to corn.
4. Peel skins off sweated tomatoes, remove cores and cut in half. Try removing all of the seeds. Place in same work bowl fitted with metal blade and pulse until smooth, about 10 times. Add to corn mixture.
5. In same work bowl fitted with metal blade, pulse onion, vinegar, sugar, oregano and salt until chunky, about 10 times. Add to corn mixture. Stir to combine. Let rest for 30 minutes.
You can use cherry tomatoes in place of Roma and you won’t have to seed them.
Use a combination of 6 oz (175 g) jalapeño or hot banana peppers and 6 oz (175 g) poblano or cubanelle peppers if you can’t find New Mexico chiles.
Do not run water over the chiles to try to loosen the skins. If the skins do not come off easily, you need to let them steam longer in the plastic bag. If you use water over the chiles, you will wash the flavor off.
Place the corn, tomatoes and chiles under the broiler until the skins bubble and the corn is browned, about 10 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1/4 cup.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today