Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Once in a rare while, I perfect an hors d’oeuvre that is so successful and addictive that I end up serving it at every party without ever tiring of it. The Scallop Puffs Que Sera, from my Nantucket Open House cookbook, have become one such signature morsel and these, I wager, are destined to serve as co-stars.
1. Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium-size mixing bowl.
2. Add the artichoke bottoms, prosciutto, basil, Parmesan, and Jarlsberg to the scallions and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and pepper. Bind the mixture with the mayonnaise and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile prepare the peppers: Preheat the oven to 400° F. Stem and seed each pepper, then cut into chunks about 2 × 1½ inches. Place the peppers in a single layer in a large, shallow baking dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the peppers 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and let cool.
4. When ready to serve the hors d’oeuvres, preheat the broiler. Mound about 2 teaspoons of the artichoke mixture onto each pepper wedge. Arrange in rows on baking sheets and broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat until puffed and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Let cool a few minutes, then transfer to a serving tray and pass with plenty of cocktail napkins.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 28. Nutritional information includes 1 teaspoon of added salt.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.