Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Ever had trouble paying for
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Roasted tomatoes are part and parcel of many contemporary sandwiches. Served atop well-flavored goat cheese that has been spread on toasted bread, their sweetness harmonizes with the cheese’s tang and texture. Roasted tomatoes can also be spooned over angel-hair pasta for a quick, light summer meal--especially aromatic when sprinkled with extra-fresh basil.
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
2. Halve the tomatoes crosswise, and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with the sugar. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 3 hours. Using a spatula, carefully transfer the tomatoes to a plate to cool.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, gently crumble the goat cheese into a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the orange zest, chopped basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until the tomatoes have finished roasting and are cooled.
4. When you are ready to serve the sandwiches, lightly toast the bread. Spread the cheese mixture on one side of each slice. Top with 2 whole basil leaves and 2 tomato halves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Serve immediately.
Wine: Napa Valley (CA) Sangiovese
Don’t omit the sugar—it eliminates any acidic undertaste in the tomatoes.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today