Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Colin Erricson
Simple but tasty, this dish has all the flavors of the Christmas turkey without the work. Add a tossed green salad or some marinated roasted red peppers to complete the meal.
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, sage, peppercorns and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and stir to coat. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in cranberries. Add broth, orange zest and juice and bring to a boil. (You should have 4 cups/1l of liquid in total. Squeeze the orange juice into a 1 cup/250 ml measure and add broth to make up the 1 cup/250 ml, if necessary.)
2. Spoon half the rice mixture evenly over bottom of prepared slow cooker stoneware. Arrange chicken pieces evenly over top. Cover with remaining rice mixture.
3. Place two clean tea towels, each folded in half (so you will have four layers), over top of stoneware to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
4. Topping: In a skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and toss until evenly coated. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in almonds. Spoon evenly over cooked rice and serve immediately.
Cranberries (along with cherries, blueberries and other red, purple and blue fruits) are particularly good sources of anthocyanins and other antioxidants that protect all cells in the body.
Make Ahead: This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, continue with the recipe.
Works best in a large (minimum 5 quart) slow cooker.
Mixtures of wild and several varieties of brown rice now come in packages. Use plain brown rice instead, or you can make your own mixture by combining ¾ cup (175 mL) of each.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today