Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Ever had trouble paying for
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
When plums are abundant, juicy, and ripe in the summer, this light dessert brings out the best in their tart sweetness. Easy to prepare but complex in flavor, it’s ideal after simple grilled dishes, particularly those with Asian accents. Because it is not too sweet, it can even serve as a sauce or garnish for gamy meats, like duck. For show, I flambe the plums, but that can be a risky experiment unless you’ve tried it before. It tastes just as good quickly sauteed in a pan, as in this recipe.
1. Put all of the ingredients, except for the optional ice cream, into a large mixing bowl and stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours; do not let the mixture sit overnight.
2. Set a large deep skillet over high heat and heat for 3 minutes. Add the plum mixture all at once and cook, stirring, until the alcohol burns off and the plums are just softened, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the ginger slices, star anise, and lemon zest. You can also reserve the star anise and lemon zest for garnish, if desired.
3. Divide the plums among serving bowls, top with the ice cream, if desired, and serve.
Nutritional information does not include optional Ginger-Rum Raisin Ice Cream or ½ cup creme fraiche. For nutritional information on Ginger-Rum Raisin Ice Cream, please follow the link above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today