Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is another example of steak served on top of greens, which for some reason we find particularly appealing. Maybe it’s because, particularly with a rich cut of beef like skirt steak, the freshness of the greens and the acid of the dressing balance out the meat so nicely.
1. Light a fire in your grill.
2. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper and mix well. Dry the skirt steak with paper towels, then rub it generously with this mixture, pressing gently to be sure it adheres.
3. When the fire has died down and the coals are covered with white ash, check the temperature: you want a hot fire here (you can hold your hand 5 inches above the grill surface for 1 to 2 seconds). Place the steak on the grill and sear well on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking to the desired doneness, about 6 minutes more for rare. To check for doneness, nick, peek, and cheat: Make a ¼-inch cut in the thickest part of the meat and take a peek; it should be slightly less done than you like it. Remove the meat from the grill, cover it loosely with foil, and let it rest while you prepare the dressing.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and salt and pepper until well combined. Add the lettuce, olives, cucumber, and tomato and toss well to thoroughly coat with the dressing, then crumble the feta cheese on top.
5. Slice the steak very thin on the bias against the grain. Place the salad on a serving platter or individual plates, top with the slices of steak, and serve.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 6 and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today