Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Barbecue was a New World invention. And sweet potatoes and maple syrup are indigenous New World foods. Put them together and you get a smoky, crisp-crusted side dish that just might take center stage.
1. Scrub the sweet potatoes well all over with a stiff-bristled brush, then blot them dry with paper towels. Place the potatoes in an aluminum foil drip pan or large bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of the butter over the potatoes and toss to coat on all sides. Season the potatoes very generously all over with salt and pepper.
2. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-high (400°F). Place a large drip pan in the center of the grill under the grate.
3. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the potatoes in the center of the grill over the drip pan and away from the heat. If cooking on a charcoal grill, toss half of the wood chips on each mound of coals. Cover the grill and cook the sweet potatoes until the skins are nicely browned and the flesh is very tender, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Use the “Charmin test” to check for doneness; squeeze a potato between your thumb and forefinger (carefully; it’s hot.) When it is done it will feel “squeezably soft.”
4. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place on a platter or plates. Drizzle some of the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the maple syrup over the cut side of each potato. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top, then season the potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. The sweet potatoes can be eaten skin and all.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.