Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Much the way blackened anything spread the word of New Orleans cooking, fajitas have become the vehicle for Tex-Mex. This represents the best of a few different versions, but the main inspiration comes from “Cotton” Morgan in Richmond, Texas. Also try the marinade on chicken.
1. For the marinade, toast the cumin seeds in a small dry skillet over low heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes, shaking the pan. Place the seeds in a small bowl and combine with the remaining marinade ingredients.
2. Trim the steaks of any excess fat, place them in a large zip-top plastic bag, and pour in the marinade. Seal the bag, squish everything around to coat the meat, and let marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours, turning occasionally.
3. Combine the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. For the best flavor, don’t do this more than 1 hour before you plan to serve it.
4. Remove the steaks from the bag and discard the marinade. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
5. Light a charcoal fire or preheat your gas grill on high. Oil the grill’s cooking surface.
6. Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes total for medium-rare or to your desired degree of doneness, turning once. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, divide the tortillas and wrap in two aluminum foil packets. Throw them on the grill until warmed through, about 2 minutes, turning once.
8. Cut the steaks into thin slices on the diagonal. Serve immediately on a platter with the warm tortillas and salsa in separate dishes and let your guests/family make their own.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.