Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members receive a Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Southwestern flavors—always a natural with quinoa—are used in a tabbouleh-type quinoa preparation: a grainy, delicious main-dish salad. Take it for a picnic, maybe with some grilled-vegetable wraps, and you’ve got a very nice meal. Once again, I can’t resist teaming corn with quinoa.
1. Preheat the grill to high, then lower the heat to medium. Place the poblano and jalapeño on the grill and roast until the skins blacken, 5 to 7 minutes per side. At the same time, place the corn directly on the grill and grill until the kernels are just colored, 4 to 5 minutes per quarter-turn of the cob. Remove the peppers and corn from the grill. Let the peppers cool in a paper bag; let corn cool sitting out.
2. Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add the beans, tomatoes, juice of 1 lemon, the jicama, scallions, oil, and herbs.
3. Cut the grilled corn from the cobs and add it to the quinoa bowl. Peel the blackened skin from both peppers. Remove the seeds, fiber, and stems, and dice both peppers. Add the peppers to the quinoa bowl.
4. Toss the ingredients in the bowl together very well, and add salt (it will take a goodly amount) and pepper to taste. Add the juice of the second lemon if needed. Serve, chilled or at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 5 servings, includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include Basic Quinoa. For nutritional information on Basic Quinoa, please follow link above.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today