Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
One of the best known Italian ragus is Ragû Bolognese. A combination of beef and veal is traditional, but I prefer the flavor that comes from the addition of pork and use it in place of the veal. The choice is yours. Nutmeg, used gingerly, adds a distinctive flavor. My preference is barely a pinch.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pot over low heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
2. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and continue to cook, stirring, until the vegetables are wilted, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Raise the heat to medium, crumble in the ground beef and pork in small clumps, and cook, stirring, until the meat is browned and the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, nutmeg, and salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have blended, about 25 minutes.
5. Stir in the cream, reduce the heat to low, and cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes, uncovering the pot in the last 5 minutes. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.
6. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until it is al dente (just tender), 12 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
7. Toss the pasta with the sauce, adding some of the reserved cooking water if the sauce needs thinning. Transfer the mixture to a large pasta bowl, sprinkle with the chopped parsley, and serve. Pass the cheese!
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Nutritional information does not included grated cheese.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today