Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Spinach combined with basil yields a milder version of the traditional basil pesto. It is sometimes used without cheese; I prefer to add the cheese right before serving, so that I can use the sauce either way. Spinach Pesto is excellent as a flavor enhancer for soups, dressings, and sauces and as a glaze for tomatoes.
1. In a food processor, process the garlic cloves until pureed.
2. Add the basil, spinach, and parsley and process until finely chopped. Add the pine nuts and finely chop.
3. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil in a fine stream and process until the oil is absorbed. Season with pepper.
4. If using Parmesan, add it just before serving and process until well blended. Taste for seasoning.
5. Refrigerate in a tightly covered container until needed.
Advance Preparation: This may be prepared 1 week in advance through step 3 and refrigerated. Add the cheese just before serving.
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings, but does not include optional Parmesan cheese.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today