Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
The vegetables used here can be varied according to availability but should always include tiny new peas.
1. In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook asparagus and, if using, fresh peas for 2 minutes or until tender-crisp.(Frozen peas are added in step 5.) Drain and refresh under cold running water; drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and keep the stock at this steady, slightly bubbling state throughout the rest of the cooking.
3. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent. Stir in garlic; cook for 2 minutes longer. Add rice all at once; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until grains are well coated with butter and oil. Pour in wine; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until wine is absorbed.
4. Using a ladle, start to add simmering stock ½ cup (125 mL) at a time. As each ladle of stock is added, stir the rice to keep it from sticking to bottom and sides of saucepan; do not add more until last addition is absorbed. If the stock is absorbed too quickly, reduce the heat to maintain a slow, steady simmer. Repeat this process, ladling in the hot stock and stirring, for 15 minutes. As you near the end of the cooking time, reduce the amount of stock to ¼ cup (50 mL) at a time.
5. Stir in asparagus, zucchini and, if using, frozen peas. Continue to cook, adding more stock as necessary, until the rice is tender but with a firm heart and overall creaminess. It should not be soupy or runny-looking. A minute before completion, stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano, basil and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today