Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
The vegetables used here can be varied according to availability but should always include tiny new peas.
1. In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook asparagus and, if using, fresh peas for 2 minutes or until tender-crisp.(Frozen peas are added in step 5.) Drain and refresh under cold running water; drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and keep the stock at this steady, slightly bubbling state throughout the rest of the cooking.
3. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent. Stir in garlic; cook for 2 minutes longer. Add rice all at once; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until grains are well coated with butter and oil. Pour in wine; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until wine is absorbed.
4. Using a ladle, start to add simmering stock ½ cup (125 mL) at a time. As each ladle of stock is added, stir the rice to keep it from sticking to bottom and sides of saucepan; do not add more until last addition is absorbed. If the stock is absorbed too quickly, reduce the heat to maintain a slow, steady simmer. Repeat this process, ladling in the hot stock and stirring, for 15 minutes. As you near the end of the cooking time, reduce the amount of stock to ¼ cup (50 mL) at a time.
5. Stir in asparagus, zucchini and, if using, frozen peas. Continue to cook, adding more stock as necessary, until the rice is tender but with a firm heart and overall creaminess. It should not be soupy or runny-looking. A minute before completion, stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano, basil and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today