Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Easy to make and very satisfying to eat, this is a traditional British dessert.
1. Butter a 6-cup heatproof bowl. Pour in the golden syrup and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Add enough cold water to come about 1in (2.5cm) up the sides of a large saucepan, and bring to a boil.
2. Sift the flour, ginger, baking powder, and salt together. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the zest, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in half the flour mixture, then the milk, then the remaining flour.
3. Transfer the batter to the prepared bowl. Cover with a double layer of parchment paper then a piece of aluminum foil, crimping the foil securely.
4. Lower the bowl into the saucepan of water. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1½ hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the pudding comes out clean, adding more boiling water to the pot if needed.
5. Remove the bowl from the water. Let stand 5 minutes, then remove the foil and paper. Invert and unmold the pudding onto a serving plate. Serve hot, with additional warmed syrup passed on the side to drizzle over each serving.
Good with vanilla sauce, heavy cream, or vanilla ice cream.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and using 1 tablespoon of butter for the bowl.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.