Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Stir-frying fits into the seriously simple cooking style, as long as you have your ingredients prepared ahead. The secret to the great ginger flavor here is to stir-fry part of the minced ginger and then add the remaining ginger right at the end with the sauce ingredients. Chinese rice wine, enjoyed in the same way that sake is in Japan, varies in quality; Shaoxing is quite good. Serve with steamed white rice.
1. In a medium bowl, combine the marinade ingredients together and stir to blend. Add the shrimp and stir to coat evenly with the marinade. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and stir to blend. Set aside.
3. In a wok or a large skillet, heat the peanut oil over high heat. Add the shrimp, snow peas, and 1 tablespoon of the minced ginger. Toss rapidly every 15 to 20 seconds, pushing the shrimp up onto the sides of the pan for maximum contact, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the shrimp are evenly pink.
4. Add the sauce, the remaining 1 tablespoon ginger, and chile oil and cook another minute or until the sauce is slightly thickened. Serve immediately over steamed white rice.
Have all the ingredients measured out and make sure the rice is steaming.
The clever cook could:
1. Use the marinade with chicken or flank steak.
2. Vary the vegetables to create your own signature-stir-fry.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and does not include Steamed White Rice for serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today