Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Okra is very popular throughout India and is available year-round. This is the okra recipe that was prepared most often in our home and is still a favorite. The technique of stir-frying eliminates the “sliminess” associated with okra and results in soft but firm pieces.
1. In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes and sautê until soft and mushy, 4 to 5 minutes. Mash with back of spoon.
2. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt. Sautê, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes.
3. Add okra and potatoes and mix well. Reduce heat slightly and sautê until okra is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes.
4. Sprinkle okra mixture with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring once to prevent sticking, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with pepper and mango powder.
Mango powder is sour and astringent. It is ground sun-dried unripened mango.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today