Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
This innovative, cooling gazpacho with a fragrant accent of strawberries is from my friend Adolfo Muñoz, host of a daily TV cooking show, caterer to Spanish celebrities, winemaker, and chef-owner of Adolfo, the best restaurant in Toledo. The flavors here are perfectly balanced, Adolfo says, and the berries snap them into focus so you don’t need vinegar. However if you feel the soup could use an extra kick, feel free to add some good sherry vinegar.
1. Place the bread in a bowl, add cold water to cover, and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain the bread and squeeze out the excess liquid.
2. Place the soaked bread and the chopped tomatoes, strawberries, green pepper, and fennel in a large bowl. Toss to mix and let stand for 15 minutes. Working in two batches, place the vegetable mixture in a food processor and process until smooth, adding half of the olive oil to each batch. Once each batch is finished, puree it finely in a blender, then transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add the spring water and garlic (the gazpacho should have the consistency of a smoothie). Season the soup with salt to taste and refrigerate it, covered, until chilled, about 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, place the finely diced tomato, strawberries, green pepper, and fennel in a bowl and toss to mix.
4. Spoon the diced tomato mixture into shallow bowls and ladle the chilled gazpacho on top. Drizzle olive oil over the surface and serve.
Nutritional information includes 1 teaspoon of added salt.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today