Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joey De Leo
Turkish legend says these eggplants once made a holy man faint, so they are called imanbayildi ("the holy man swooned"). Good with an herb salad and Greek-style yogurt.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and score the flesh of each in a crosshatch pattern with a sharp knife.
2. Brush the flesh with 4 tbsp of the oil. Place, cut sides up, in a roasting pan. Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes, or until tender.
3. Let the eggplants cool. Scoop out and reserve the flesh, leaving a ¼ in (6mm) shell, being careful not to split the skins. Place on a serving platter.
4. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes until softened. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cardamom and stir about 1 minute, until fragrant.
5. Stir in the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened. Stir in the reserved eggplant flesh and raisins and cook for 10 minutes more. Let cool, then stir in the cilantro, mint, and parsley.
6. Spoon the mixture into the eggplant shells, and refrigerate for at least 1 day before serving.
Prepare ahead: The stuffed eggplants should be refrigerated for at least 1 day to let the flavors develop.
Nutritional Benefits: Low GI.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today