Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
When summertime rolls around, I gravitate to this salad. Take the freshest greens, add chopped ripe tomatoes, raw sweet corn, a sprinkling of Parmesan or goat cheese, and dress it with an arugula balsamic vinaigrette. It’s a winner every time. Follow with Grilled Chicken Breasts with Chimichurri Sauce .
1. To make the vinaigrette: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, mince the shallot. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard and process to combine. With the machine running, gradually add the oil to make an emulsified sauce. Add the salt, pepper, and arugula. Pulse until well blended. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
2. In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, vegetables, and cheese. Add the vinaigrette and toss until well coated. Divide the salad among individual plates and serve.
The vinaigrette may be prepared 1 day in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Whisk it well before using. The salad can be prepared 2 hours ahead and refrigerated. (Since the salad is chopped with a metal knife, the lettuce may begin to brown after 2 hours.)
The clever cook could:
1. Add cooked chicken, turkey, fish, or shellfish for a main-course salad.
2. Add chopped chilled cooked green beans.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today