Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
In this seasonal compote, bright fruits are gently poached together in a johannisberg Riesling syrup. The wine has a semidry, fruity character that complements summer’s harvest. You can vary the fruits you poach, but make sure that they are all about the same size. You will need to undercook them slightly, as they continue to cook while cooling. Accompany the compote with your favorite biscotti.
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Immerse the peaches in the water for about 20 seconds, then remove immediately with a slotted spoon. Let cool, then peel the peaches, cut in half, and remove the pits. Place in a medium bowl.
2. Immerse the plums in the same bailing water for 1 to 1½ minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. Let cool, then peel the plums. Place in the bowl with the peaches.
3. In a large saucepan, combine the wine, sugar, and lemon slices and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the liquid is at a gentle simmer.
4. Add the peaches, plums, and apricots to the syrup, cover, and simmer, turning occasionally until the fruits are just tender. The apricots may be ready before the other fruits, so watch carefully and remember that all the fruits will continue to cook for a few minutes after they are removed from the syrup. As soon as the fruits are done, transfer them to a large glass bowl with a slotted spoon. They should be slightly resitant when cut.
5. Raise the heat to high and boil the syrup to reduce by one-half. Remove from the heat, remove and discard the lemon slices, and let the syrup cool.
6. Pour the cooled syrup over the fruit, cover, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
7. To serve, garnish the bowl with mint leaves. Serve crème fraîche or whipped cream on the side, if desired.
Advance Preparaion: This may be prepared 1 day in advance through step 6 and refrigerated.
Nutritional information does not include Garnish.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today