Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Recipe by: Robin Robertson | from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You AreCookstr
Tempeh and vegetarian sausage links are used to garnish the sauerkraut in this robust dish redolent of caraway and juniper berries. Dried juniper berries (and caraway seeds) are available in the spice section of well-stocked supermarkets or gourmet grocers.
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook until browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the tempeh with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the vegetarian sausage links to the same skillet and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Remove the links with a slotted spoon and set aside with the tempeh.
2. Reheat the same skillet over medium heat, adding a little more oil if necessary. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the onion to a 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker. Add the potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, paprika, caraway seeds, and juniper berries. Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
4. About 20 minutes before serving time, add the tempeh and vegetarian sausage links to the cooker and stir gently to combine.
When a recipe calls for vegetable stock, you have several options. First, you can use homemade stock. Alternatively, there are several brands of commercial vegetable broth available that can be used instead. A third option is to use water boosted with a proportionate amount of powdered vegetable base. Because these choices will vary in degree of saltiness, you will find that most recipes using vegetable stock will also call for salt “to taste” so that you can make adjustments accordingly.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.