Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
The addition of fresh peas and pea pods gives a new twist to this split pea soup.
1. Heat the oil in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring constantly, until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the water and split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook 35 to 40 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the peas are soft. Measure the mixture and add water, if necessary, to make 4 cups.
3. Beat the half-and-half into the flour with a wire whisk. Beat the mixture into the soup and cook, beating constantly until the soup thickens and the peas break up. Add salt and pepper.
4. Add the fresh green peas; return to a boil over high heat; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until the peas are tender. Stir in the snow peas; if necessary, add water until the soup reaches the desired consistency. Return to a boil; taste and adjust seasoning; serve.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today