Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Surprisingly similar to the real thing! Serve this as you would regular egg salad—in a sandwich (on whole-grain bread or in a whole-wheat pita), or on a bed of greens, accompanied by olives, tomatoes, and fresh, raw vegetables.
Yield: 2 servings
- 6 ounces very firm tofu or nigari tofu
- 1 scallion, finely minced (include the green part)
- 3 tablespoons grated carrot
- ¼ cup finely minced celery
- ¼ cup finely minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the tofu into tiny dice and transfer to a medium-size bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently.
3. Cover tightly and chill until cold.
© 2007 Tante Malka, Inc., and Walter Willett, M.D.
This keeps for up to 5 days in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
Protein: 8 g / Saturated Fat: 1 g /
Polyunsaturated Fat: 6 g /
Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g /
Dietary Fiber: 2 g / Calories: 153