Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
This very quick version of the classic tomato soup is just right for a refreshingly light supper. Serve it hot in winter with toasted French bread and cheese (see Serving Suggestion, below) or cold in summer. Look to the fresh tomato variation below for even more flavor when tomatoes are in season.
1. In a large saucepan over high heat, bring stock, garlic and tomatoes to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook slowly for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Cool slightly before puréeing half of soup in a food processor or blender until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup.
3. Return to saucepan. Add basil and reheat to serving temperature. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Fresh Tomato Basil Variation:
Replace canned tomatoes with 6 large peeled and diced tomatoes. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato paste during the cooking and follow method using all ingredients.
Toasted French bread spread with light Boursin cheese is a great stand-in for the more traditional toasted cheese sandwich. Lightly spread each slice of crusty bread with cheese. Place on broiler pan. Broil for 2 minutes or until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.