Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Here is a decorating secret shared by Master Baker Michael Goodman: “When I want a fast finishing for a cheesecake, there’s nothing better than a traditional chocolate ganache. All you need is good dark chocolate, some heavy cream, and a splash of good vanilla. It’s ready in minutes.”
1. Combine the chocolate and cream in a medium-size saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until the chocolate melts and the mixture begins to bubble a little around the sides. Quickly whisk the mixture until it comes together in a smooth chocolate sauce.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. Pour into a heatproof bowl that can go into the freezer. Chill the ganache in the freezer just until it thickens, about 15 minutes. Use immediately to glaze the top of a cheesecake. Let some ganache drizzle down the sides-or, if you wish, frost the sides completely, using a narrow metal icing spatula. Do not cover. Return the cake to the freezer for 1 hour before cutting.
The Junior’s Way
First freeze the cheesecake at least an hour so it’s icy cold; that way the ganache will set up fast on the cake. Then spoon the chilled ganache on top of the cake, pushing it just to the edge.
Nutritional information is based on 10 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today