Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Break eggs into a small bowl, reserving a little of the white. Whisk eggs and stir in the cream. Add to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.
3. Place dough on a floured work surface, knead for about 30 seconds and roll into an oblong ¾ inch (1.5 cm) thick. Cut into triangles, or into diamonds by making diagonal cuts in one direction and then in the other direction. Mix the reserved egg white with 1 tsp (5 mL) water and brush over tops. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.
These scones are popular in England, at tea time, served with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1 scone per serving and does not include the optional additional granulated sugar.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today