Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joey DeLeo
A deli-roasted chicken is the lifeline to dozens of quick, tasty dinners, and this one is a favorite around my house. With white beans, fresh zucchini, a handful of crunchy chopped onion, and a healthy dose of garlic, the ragout makes a delicious main dish that can be on the table in less than 20 minutes. That little bit of cream isn’t necessary, but it does give the dish an extra-smooth finish. Serve the Tuscan chicken on a cold, rainy night in deep bowls with crusty bread and topped with lots of shredded Parmesan cheese.
1. Pour the olive oil into a 2-quart saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not brown, 2 minutes.
2. Add the chicken and the zucchini and continue to cook, stirring, until the zucchini softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the beans, cream, if using, and thyme. Season the ragout with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until the beans are heated through and the flavors are combined, 2 minutes longer.
3. Spoon the ragout into serving bowls and serve the Parmesan cheese, if using, on the side.
You can use any kind of beans that you prefer. Choose from small white beans, navy beans, cannellini, or Great Northern beans.If you'd like the consistency of the Tuscan chicken to be more like a soup, add a cup of chicken broth (canned is fine) along with the white beans.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.