Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Nothing beats creamy homemade vanilla ice cream; you'll keep coming back for more. Good with fresh berries, or biscotti crumbled into the base of the serving glass.
1. Bring the milk and vanilla bean to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean and, using the tip of a small knife, scrape the beans from the pod back into the milk. Rinse the vanilla bean and reserve for another use, if desired.
2. Whisk together the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl until the mixture is thick and pale. Gradually whisk in the warm milk then pour into the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture coats the spoon (an instant-read thermometer will read 185°F/85°C). Do not boil. Strain through a wire sieve into a bowl. Cool completely, stirring often. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, until thoroughly chilled. Whisk the cream into the cooled custard.
3. Pour into the container of an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight, freezerproof container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
4. Scoop the frozen ice cream into bowls and serve.
Variation: Coffee Ice Cream
Omit the vanilla pod. Stir 2 tsp of instant coffee powder into the warm milk. Do not infuse.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 1 week.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.