Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
For extra flavor, serve this velvety soup with shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, trim the watercress and pluck off the leaves. Add the watercress stems to the pot with the pears and stock. Bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the pears are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Reserving a few watercress leaves for garnish, purèe the soup and watercress leaves in a blender. Add the cream and lemon juice, and adjust the seasoning.
4. Serve hot, garnished with watercress leaves.
Spinach Soup: Substitute spinach leaves for the watercress and omit the pears. Substitute ¾ cup canned coconut milk for the cream. Serve warm.
Chilled soup: Let cool and chill in the refrigerator. To serve; pour the soup into chilled bowls, top with crushed ice, and drizzle with a little olive oil.
The soup can cooled, covered, and refrigerated up to one day.
The soup, without the cream, can be frozen up to 3 months. Add the cream after reheating.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.