Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
A terrific way to enjoy low-fat “fries,” this is a great accompaniment for veggie burgers and soy hot dogs.
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into long, ½-inch-thick fry-shaped strips. Combine them in a large mixing bowl with the oil and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with a little salt.
3. Transfer the fries to a nonstick baking sheet. Bake, stirring gently every 10 minutes, until the potatoes are lightly browned, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve at once.
Baked Potatoes the Classic Way:
For those of us who lead hectic lives (and who doesn’t these days?), the microwave is a boon for baking all types of potatoes. You can bake them in a fraction of the time it takes in the oven.
But if you find yourself home on a cold or drizzly day, consider baking a few white or sweet potatoes the old-fashioned way. Their flavor deepens and they bake much more evenly in the oven than they do in the microwave.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Scrub the potatoes (especially well if you plan to eat the of skins of white potatoes) with a vegetable brush. Cut off any eyes that have begun to sprout. Conventional wisdom says to poke a few times with a fort to allow steam to escape to prevent exploding, but to be honest, I never do this, Instead, I wrap the potatoes individually in aluminum foil and arrange them on an oven rack. Bake until a knife pierces through easily, about 1 hour.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Total fat: 7 g
Protein: 2 g
Carbohydrate: 34 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 9 mg
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today